• Text size
  • A
  • A
  • A
Your spotlight on local services

NHS Healthcare

Want to make a complaint about NHS Healthcare?

Before deciding to make a complaint you should try and talk to the organisation concerned, as it is often possible to sort out a problem straightaway.

This means your concerns could be resolved quickly and informally without going through a formal complaints process. If you have tried this approach and still feel unhappy about the matter you are entitled to make a formal complaint.

Whatever your complaint it is a good idea to keep a record of all verbal and written communication, Use this form to keep track of your complaint.

Who can complain?

Anyone can make a complaint about health and social care services they have used. If you wish to complain on behalf of someone else you may need to have their written permission.

 Who should I complain to?

Who you contact to complain will depend on, whether you are complaining about health care or social care, and whether that care is paid for by public funds or you have paid for it yourself. Please read through the follow information regarding complaints, so you can direct your concern correctly.

Whatever your complaint it is a good idea to keep a record of all verbal and written communication, Use this form to keep track of your complaint. 

How to make a complaint about the National Health Service (NHS)

If you are unhappy with the care you have received from the NHS, you have the right to make a complaint. Where possible, you should contact the NHS service directly (hospital, GP practice, optician, ambulance, dentist etc.). You can do this in person, by telephone, email or letter.

When you contact the service, ask to see a copy of their complaints procedure, as this will tell you who to contact and how they will handle your complaint. Dealing with them directly will give the NHS service a chance to sort out any problem you might have and put things right for you. You might find these self-help guides written by Action Against Medical Accidents useful in understanding the complaints process, and how it is meant to work. If you are not able to follow this, or if you feel worried about contacting the NHS service directly, you can complain to other parts of the NHS instead:

Independent Health Complaints Advocacy (IHCA) is a free and independent service that can help you make a complaint about the NHS. In Merton this service is provided by POhWER and they have a wide range of information to support you in making an NHS complaint. They can also provide advocates to work with you and ensure you understand your options and help achieve the outcome you are seeking.

T 0300 456 2370
E email:pohwer@pohwer.net
W www.pohwer.net

Not satisfied with the response you got?

If you are not happy with the final reply from the health service you have the right to ask the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman to investigate your complaint. Their role is to investigate complaints where individuals have been treated unfairly or have received poor service from government departments and other public organisations and the NHS in England.

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman can be used if you are unhappy with the outcome of your complaint or how it was dealt with by any NHS health service after going through all the stages of their complaints procedure. You can contact the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman on:

T 0345 015 4033 / Text phone 0300 061 4298.
E phso.enquiries@ombudsman.org.uk
W www.ombudsman.org.uk
P The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, Millbank Tower, London SW1P 4QP


Sign Up

Register your details with Healthwatch Merton and be kept up to date with all the latest news, advice, information and events through our newsletters.

Register Online Here

Merton Directories

Merton Directories - hosts information on support, services, advice and things to do for children, young people and adults.


MVSC is delighted to have been awarded this contract and we are pleased we will continue our work with health and social care services within the borough. We work successfully in partnership across all sectors and are looking forward to delivering the best possible service we can for local people.