• Text size
  • A
  • A
  • A
Your spotlight on local services

Social Care

Want to make a complaint about social care?

Before deciding to make a complaint you should try and talk to the organisation concerned, as it is often possible to sort out a problem straightaway. This means your concerns could be resolved quickly and informally without going through a formal complaints process.

If you have tried this approach and still feel unhappy about the matter you are entitled to make a formal complaint.

Whatever your complaint it is a good idea to keep a record of all verbal and written communication, Use this form to keep track of your complaint.


Who can complain?

Anyone can make a complaint about health and social care services they have used. If you wish to complain on behalf of someone else you may need to have their written permission.

Who should I complain to?

Who you contact to complain will depend on, whether you are complaining about health care or social care, and whether that care is paid for by public funds or you have paid for it yourself. Please read through the follow information regarding complaints, so you can direct your concern correctly.

Whatever your complaint it is a good idea to keep a record of all verbal and written communication, Use this form to keep track of your complaint. 

How to make a complaint about social care?

If you are unhappy with the care you have received from a care home, nursing home, home-care agency or other social care service, you have the right to make a complaint. If the service is provided in a social care setting but is funded by the NHS, e.g. dental services, you will need to follow the NHS complaints process, which you can find in the previous section.

Always ask to see a copy of the complaints procedure for the care service you are unhappy about. This will tell you who to contact and how they will handle your complaint. Where possible, you should contact the care service directly (care or nursing home, etc.). You can do this in person, by telephone, email or letter. This will give the care service the chance to sort out any problem you may have and put things right for you.

If you are not able to do this, feel worried about contacting the service directly, or are not happy with the reply you got from the care service you can complain to your local council instead.

Need to complain to Merton Council?

You can complain directly to the Council by contacting:
T 020 8545 3060 Email – complaints@merton.gov.uk
W www.merton.gov.uk/council/complaints.htm
P The complaints team, Merton Council, Civic Centre, London Road, Morden SM4 5DX

For complaints regarding children and young people please contact the customer service officer:
T 020 8545 3086
E childrensservicescomplaints@merton.gov.uk

Not satisfied with the response you got from the council?

If you are not happy with the final reply from the care service or your local council, you have the right to ask the Local Government Ombudsman to investigate your complaint. This right applies whether you pay for your own care or your local council pays for it.

The Local Government Ombudsman service can be used if you are unhappy with the outcome of how your complaint has been dealt with by the local council after going through all the stages of their complaints procedure. You can contact the Local Government Ombudsman on:
T 0300 061 0614
E advice@lgo.org.uk
W www.lgo.org.uk
P Local Government Ombudsman, PO Box 4771, Coventry CV4 0EH. 

Sign Up

Register your details with Healthwatch Merton and be kept up to date with all the latest news, advice, information and events through our newsletters.

Register Online Here

Merton Directories

Merton Directories - hosts information on support, services, advice and things to do for children, young people and adults.


MVSC is delighted to have been awarded this contract and we are pleased we will continue our work with health and social care services within the borough. We work successfully in partnership across all sectors and are looking forward to delivering the best possible service we can for local people.